Friday 16 December 2011

Avengers**Coming 2012


i haven't rily watched this but but its keeping me on the edge.
Thor has fallen and Asgard is now in the hands of Loki. What will become of this amazing world now that the mighty have fallen? That's actually what I was still left wondering after watching "Thor & Loki - Blood Brothers". The DVD consists of 4 episodes, about 16-18 minutes in length each, that follow Loki as he struggles to gain the respect of Asgard and it's people. The DVD picks up after the battle between Thor and Loki in which Loki wins and banishes Thor to a cell. Honestly, as far as the actual story goes, it was pretty boring. I've never actually watched a motion comic before so I didn't have any expectations going in, but the story itself was extremely slow and had almost no action. You would think there would be a big battle scene at least showing Thor and Loki fighting, or someone trying to avenge Thor, or something... anything, but there isn't. I will say it was kind of cool to actually see a story from Loki's point of view, but if Loki's point of view is this boring I see why we've never really seen it in the past. I could see some people having a hard time actually sitting down and watching this whole thing, but I didn't find it that bad. Like I said, it was a bit slow and it could have used a bit more action, but the story flowed pretty well and I really liked the way the animation was done.
As far as the video goes, everything looked great. As I mentioned, I've never bothered to watch a motion comic as I always thought they were just terrible animations taken directly off of the comic book pages, but this one was more than just that. Sure there were clearly scenes and illustrations taken directly from the books and then animated, but there is also a lot of 3D animation that makes certain parts of this come to life. It was actually really cool to see this done the way it was done and I applaud the animators behind it. The audio sounded as good as you would expect. It was a little odd to watch something and not have much of a soundtrack behind it, but the voice acting is extremely well done. So overall the production on the DVD itself is spot on and blew my expectations out of the water. Now if the story line had only matched that, this would have been perfect.
There are a few special features on the disc, the writers talk about their original idea for the story and how they came up with the story arc. There is also a few behind the scenes featurettes that take a look at the behind-the-scenes aspects of the whole project. Everything from the animators and using motion capture to make sure that the 3D animation looked how they wanted it to the technical process was pretty interesting and well done.
Overall the story isn't the greatest, but the animation and production is top notch. It's interesting to see Loki's point of view, but I wish it would have gone further than it did. I was also quite disappointed in the lack of action. Maybe I was just thinking it would be something it wasn't; Thor falling to Loki in my eyes means an epic battle, but I guess not in this case.
Loki
Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment